Understanding Family Law

In order to help clarify some of the questions you are facing, the article below is being provided by Wagoner Lawyer Matt Ingham. This article is by no means exhaustive though it does contain information that you will find valuable. Below you will find a section which explains divorce cases and child custody cases. You will also find a question and answer section that further about Family Law procedures.

Divorce Actions

Divorce: The legal term is ‘Dissolution Of Marriage’. Dissolution is fairly simple to understand. In a typical dissolution case, the husband and the wife became wed to each other. There are two ways to become wed under Oklahoma Law. The most frequent means of becoming wed is by signing a marriage license. The second and less frequent means is by common law marriage which Oklahoma Law does still honor.

At some point during the marriage, the matrimonial bonds between husband and wife begin to deteriorate. If not fixed, then the matrimonial bonds often continue to deteriorate to the point when they are beyond repair. When the marriage is damaged beyond repair, then the spouses are deemed ‘incompatible’ in the eyes of the Law. When this happens, one of the spouses will file an action for divorce. In doing so, the filing spouse requests that the Judge dissolve the marriage once and for all.

Child Custody Actions

Child Custody: Most divorce cases also involve child custody issues. As discussed above, once the spouses are incompatible, then one of them will file for divorce. When the divorce is filed, if the spouses have children, then child custody is at issue. Also, the matter of child support will be at issue as well.

wagoner lawyerIn a best case scenario, both spouses strive to protect the best interest of the children. Often times, what is in the best interest of the children is that they maintain their daily routine. In order to protect their routine, the children should remain enrolled in the same school district. They also should remain in the same neighborhood where they can maintain their friendships. In order to protect their best interest, the children should not be ‘uprooted’ from their daily routine. All throughout the divorce action, it is imperative for both parents to protect the children’s best interest.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where will my case be filed? Answer: Because you live in Wagoner County, your case will be filed at the Wagoner District Court House. This is the ‘general rule’ though and like all general rules, there are exceptions.

My case is not family law, but another type of law. Where do I get answers? Answer: Wagoner Lawyer Matt Ingham is well connected in the local legal community. If he cannot help you, he will likely refer you to an Lawyer who can help. This is true whether your case is related to auto injuries, work injuries, social security, or other.

How much is my case going to cost? Answer: It depends. Family Law cases that are filed in Wagoner County vary greatly regarding the total cost. The range for a Family Law case can be as cheap as $1000.00 all the way up to and in excess of $100,000.00. If you and the opposing party are able to agree, then you will be able to save money. On the other hand, if you and the opposing party cannot agree, then you should be prepared to spend more.

How long is my case going to last? Answer: Again, it depends. If you and the opposing party are able to agree, then chances are high your case will be short. On the other hand, if you and the opposing party are unable to agree, then your case could last several months. As a safe rule of thumb, you should be prepared for your case to last somewhere between four and eight months.

How To Get Started With A Wagoner Lawyer

What can I expect once my case is filed? Answer: Once your divorce has been filed, you will begin the process of building your case. In order to build your case, you will provide documents to Mr. Ingham. Those documents will later be used to present your case to the Judge. Once Mr. Ingham has received the documents, then you will begin to prepare for Hearings. At the Hearings you will appear in the Court Room and will likely testify. When you appear in the Court Room, the Judge will listen to your testimony and review the documents.

How Do I Consult With Wagoner Lawyer Matt Ingham? Answer: Mr. Ingham offers free consultations. To schedule a free consultation, all you have to do is the call the number below. When you call the number below, you will speak with Mr. Ingham’s paralegal. Be sure to tell the paralegal that you want to schedule a free consultation. Also, if you would like to learn more about how to get started, you can click on this link: Family Law

(918) 591-2565